After about 6 weeks, I met up with Lizhen, my Austrian buddy, and Kenneth, another exchange student from Singapore. We met up for dinner at the flea market near central Vienna =P Kenneth brought his friend Zed (the two are inseparable lol) and Lizhen brought along her younger sister, Lily. Daniel, another Austrian buddy, came along as well.
It was great to see them all =) I love seeing Lizhen, who is so caring and motherly =P She treats both of us like her younger siblings, even though Kenneth is a year younger (but he's shorter lol). Lily is so lively! she is quite curious about life in Toronto, as she was really close to choosing York as her exchange school (she's going to BeiDai in Beijing though). Daniel is just hilarious =P He's such a gentleman and very polite. He may not seem like it but he's such a party-goer! He's been telling us how he studied for 11 exams in one week (relax, they are 1 hour exams in Vienna, but still.....) while attending some parties =P Now THAT'S time management lol
So May 1st is international labour day and everything is closed -_-. Honestly, I thought surviving a Sunday in Vienna was hard but even restaurants, which are typically open on Sundays, were closed! We were supposed to try this Turkish restaurant but it was closed =( Thus, we headed off to have Chinese food lol. It was fun times because Kenneth and I had travel stories to share and we were getting to know each and every one of them better =P
Dinner was about 2.5 hours and Daniel suggested we head to a bar =) Throughout dinner, he kept saying we had to visit this bar which served THE BEST strawberry daiquiris. Honestly, i was quite intrigued so I was happy to go along =P We went to "The Sign" which is located not far from school or my rez (soooooooooooo dangerous) and had cocktails........since it was a holiday, happy hour was all night =) whoooooot lol It's kinda scary though, cuz I've stopped converting from Euros to Cdn $........
The owners were a young Chinese couple. The guy studied bartending while he was in school and insists on making all the cocktails himself (bc he doesn't trust anyone else to make it). He uses fresh fruit for EVERY drink. Daniel bought the first round of strawberry daiquiris which tasted like heaven =) The bartender/owner used fresh strawberries so all I could taste was the fruit, not the alcohol. Another interesting feature of the bar is that they rate each drink, from 1 to 5 with 5 having the most alcohol content. Ken had "Old Fashion" which consisted of strong tequilla and mint leave. Zed tried the Passion Beach, which had banana liqueur so it tasted kinda like cough syrup ><" Both their drinks were 5 levels. I opted for mango marguerita (level 4) =P So cute! Daniel just stuck to his strawberry daiquiris =P
Daniel knew the owners quite well so we kept getting free drinks =P In my cup though, there was a shard of plastic. The owner was so embarassed and apologetic when Daniel brought it to his attention that they gave us 2 rounds of free drinks. His wife first gave us a lychee mixture (for some reason, they don't have Soho here ><"). Then she took out the good stuff; as they're both from Beijing, she told us to try this traditional Beijing alcohol. Not as strong as 151 but you could smell the alcohol. I had to use the marguerita to chase it down lol
A lovely time with my buddies =P Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a sweeter buddy in Vienna ^.^ Prost!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment